Adopting an animal is a big responsibility and a life-changing decision. Although it can be tempting to bring home a cuddly critter after visiting him or her for the first time at the shelter, it’s important to ask yourself some very important questions before adopting an animal. Are you able to provide a loving, permanent home for a pet? Here are a few points to consider:
- Time commitment for daily exercise, care, and enrichment for the lifespan of a pet.
- Animal management and control regulations in your area. For example: can you legally own a particular breed of dog or an exotic pet in your city or town? Does your landlord and/or HOA accept pets? Do they have policies on certain breeds?
- Family members and household environment.
- Pet allergies.
- The cost of veterinary care, food, grooming, and other necessities.
- Before adopting, consider a veterinarian that you would like to establish care with. This is the most important part of adopting. By establishing care with a veterinarian, you ensure that your animal will be successful as you spend your life together. There are many outstanding and affordable veterinary clinics in our area! Journey Home Animal Care Center is not a full service veterinary hospital and is unable to provide full service care to community owned animals because we have a commitment to care for the animals who are calling JHACC their temporary home!